Monday, March 05, 2007


Movie Talk: The Prestige (Hugh Jackman, Scarlett Johannsen, and Christian Bale)

You have to watch this movie. YOU HAVE TO SEE IT! It is an uncommonly well done movie. I like the kind of movies that make you think about them after. The kind that make you say. after the fact, "Oh...Oh?...Oh!!! Oh my gosh! OH!" Okay, that sounded kinda kinky, but, you know what I mean. So I'm waiting for the book to come in at the library. I'm sure I am at the end of a very long hold list.

The writing. The plot twists. Acting, of course. All very compelling. Hugh Jackman is a hottie but that Christian Bale did a wonderful job. Although less flashy of an actor, he is nonetheless very Ben Kingsley-ish in that he conveys so much without being a "look-at-me" actor like Tom Cruise. I very much respect Cruise' charisma, but it's just a different kind of thing.

I used to really dislike Bale because of the first movies I saw him in: American Psycho, Captain Corelli's Mandolin. He was a BAD GUY in those, and a really good one too. Thoroughly unlikeable. But since, I've altered my perception. Even Batman Begins didn't entirely win me over. I think it was Equilibrium that did it.

My husband warned me not to be let down when watching The Illusionist in comparison to The Prestige. I said, of course I won't compare the two. It's just another magician movie. Of course, I won't think of the first movie when I watch the second. Of course...not.

Well, I haven't seen The Illusionist yet. Waiting for a day when the small kid actually goes sleep before 10 p.m.! With one teensy weensy nap she can go and go until almost midnight if I don't take steps! Like read a book over and over and over and over again. Reading...slower...each...time...until she passes out, without putting myself to sleep first. It's hard to not pass out first! Cuz if that happens, then the kid just pops up and wanders off, and upon rousing from unconsciousness, I gotta start the whole process over again. Most times I'll just get up and try knit or something, or maybe catch up on saved episodes of The Closer, House, or Monk until she comes back in. I know that makes me a bad parent but I feel like I'm fightn' the tide trying to get that kid to sleep.

So yah, I watch a lot of movies. I knit, don't I? Gotta use something to exercise my eyes and change focal lengths between staring at all those tiny little stitches. It's eye exercise!

No comments: