Saturday, February 24, 2007

Wow, I can't believe it's been TWO WEEKS since I last posted! I guess I've been busy with Chinese New Year preparations and trying to do something clever for Valentines' Day as well. The major project I've just completed is bookmarks for the local library staff and volunteers. We didn't give them anything for Christmas or New Year's and I really wanted to show our appreciation. Have also been wanting to use these materials in something simple and striking.

size 10 crochet cotton for most, leftover sock yarn too
size 8/0 beads for fish eyes and bookmark tails
size 11/0 beads in the hearts
size 1.3 mm steel hook
various patterns, both paid and free online

I like this two strand bookmarks tail as it leaves less of an indent in the book, compared to the more elaborate knit bookmarks I usually see. Also, it nicely shows off the variegated colors. Now, I could have blocked and starched the motifs to lay perfectly flat, but I found that I liked the homemade look and feel of a slightly curled motif. These are very simple, wonderful gift ideas for your favorite word-pushers and users!

Also, I've been spending far too much time looking at all the wonderful things there are to see online! I'm on a yarn diet so I have resolved to not even purchase another skein of acrylic until I finish these giant Big Black Socks I've committed to. I decided to cast on 80 stitches in fingering weight on size 1 needles, with a 15" all-ribbed cuff for some lucky size 15 foot soldier over thar.

So no new yarn since...January?

A knit charity organizer recently commented on how disappointed she was in the knitters who had signed up to knit for her organization but then had continued to work on other things and not complete the items to be donated, talking about these other things on their various knit-alongs. She actually scolded them for wanting to knit other things.

Now, I've made several things for this organization and I believe in its mission. I also commend the amazing commitment this person has made to making this thing happen. It is no easy thing. But, when knitting is no longer fun, and becomes an obligation, a duty, a job, then, why knit. Why make those thousands of stitches if IT IS NOT FUN. I've broken up my charity knitting thing with various other very fun things. And, yes, it has caused the thing to take longer than it otherwise may, but, it's my time, and my energy. And I don't want to resent the thing or any person for the handwork that goes into creating an item of love and dedication. That would be counter to its purpose. I do not want to feel like it's a monkey on my back.

So I will continue to occasionally throw in a fun, quick thing while continuing to toil on the charity objects I have committed to. But I do not think anyone has the right to direct or guilt knitter time. It is precious and priceless.

1 comment:

Steffi said...

Hi Wendi!
I wish you already a "Happy Chinese New Year"!
You are so creativ and I like your crafts!I hope to see you soon at my blog!I would like to write your blog on my Link list-is this okay for you?

Steffi