Wednesday, July 18, 2007

I'm reading various etsy threads about pricing and pricing formulas and valuing your time, and omg, i'm getting a headache. Considering how much time it took to change my prices the last time, I'm reluctant to go through THAT again. Maybe if there were a quick and easy way to adjust prices on etsy...

In any case, I price for what I would and could spend - on things for kids, my main target. Because kids use things, and abuse things, and LOSE things, I make and price items that I or the buyer wouldn't be overly distraught if something HAPPENED to them. Cuz you know it will. If the item is loved and used, something will happen to it. I'd like my craft to be liked and loved and USED. And because of that last word, and the kid target, I try to make things washable, durable, for multiple uses, and that took limited time creating. I am a very practical gal, and I want that thing I toiled over to be used so much it literally falls apart from love and wear, thus my kid recipients. So I price so that a busy parent can say "Oh, I like that!" and if another or more are needed, wanted, she won't think twice about ordering a bunch more.

Also, it is not really fair to devalue "non-professional" (hobbyist) because they cannot drop everything else to pursue their dream. Buyers will buy what they like and not what they don't. How one makes her living should have nothing to do with the value of a particular item. It should stand on its own merit.

I'm a full-time mom and a crafter. You bet your ass I value my time.

And that's my take on the whole pricing fiasco. (as posted on the pricing thread in the etsy forum)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

5 Star Rating on your blog entry (because I agree 1000% with you!!!). Buyers will buy what they want and pay what they want and we can decide what we want to make and charge.

Wendi said...

If I say "yay for me" would that be childish?