Friday, July 06, 2007

Nya nya, I swooped in and scooped up all keikigifts' fairy tiara stash last week! Okay, I shouldn't gloat. Sorry. But I so happy I now have some more wondeful, original, handmade gifts. Yippee! Now if I could just get organized so I don't panic at last minute because I forgot I already have the presents.

We celebrated July 4th by dying yarn using Kool Aid. I turned one skein of Cascade 220 into six and the girls had three chances each to hand-dye, single color in the microwave, and single color on the stove. Boy, that was easy AND fun! We need to find more colors of Kool Aid. Only three available in Times Supermarket in packets. I wonder if other brand drink mixes work. I would like to dry a green and a blue. I'd also like to try REAL yarn dyes like those offered by Knit Picks.

Just finished photographin the keiki kane lei and new Ringos. I had especially good time taking the lei pictures. See!!!

Looking at it now, the picture seems a little dark to me. Maybe I'll make a light box like Kai's.
And most exciting: I met up with the Aloha Knitters last night! Whooooeeeeeee! That was FUN! I got to meet real people whose blogs I read and who are also a little loony about the yarn. We looked at each others' knitting magazines, yarn, projects, stitch markers, and dog! Everybody was really nice and I was just so happy to be there. So many came out to knit! That was awesome!

5 comments:

k. said...

It was great to see you at the meeting! I can't believe it had been, what, more than a year since we'd last hung out!

Instead of trying to find more drink mix, you could try gel or paste food coloring - I found some at Ben Franklin's in the cake decorating section, and some at the fancy kitchen store in Ward Warehouse. It's cheap and it works really well - there's an article in Knitty about using it to dye yarn.

Mokihana said...

Great colors on the yarn! I need to try that myself. I have all kine yarn for dyeing....

I am also wondering how overdying my grey fleece would work.

Mokihana

Anonymous said...

Cute Keiki Kane lei photos and dyeing with Kool Aid. How you do that? I'm happy you and your knitting pals got together to share your passion for yarn. Yeah-- does sound a little loony.

Opal said...

Oh Kool-Aid dyeing! What fun! I had a great time knitting with you. I hope you can make it to more meetings!

Wendi said...

Kainui, thanks for the tip on food coloring! I like using non-toxic things to dye with cuz, ya, we still eating and cooking out of dem der pots and glass dishes and um da forks. I've been meaning to pick up some junky pots and glass things from the swap meat but using food friendly dyes makes it cheaper so far.